The old village of Wolfhampcote is located west of the A45 road near Braunston in Northamptonshire, and can be reached by a track from the main A45 road, or by a lane from Flecknoe. The village was abandoned sometime in the late 14th century and is classified as a deserted medieval village. Local legend suggests that the village was wiped out by the Black Death brought in by refugees from London, but there is no evidence to support this. It is much more likely that a few cottages still remained after the great plague and after struggling to maintain their land the villagers drifted off to more prosperous places leaving the Lord of the Manor to clear the land for sheep grazing as best he could. The village is shown as Wulfencote on the Christopher Saxton map of 1637.
Today the only remains of the village are a cottage, a farmhouse, and the old vicarage, located some distance away. The most notable surviving feature of the village is the Church of St. Peter, which stands apparently in the middle of nowhere in a field. The church has been restored on several occasions, most recently in the 1970s by an organisation called the Friends of Friendless Churches. The church is today managed by the Churches Conservation Trust and is used only once or twice a year.
The area around the old village is rich in industrial archaeology. The Oxford Canal passes to the north of the site, but this section is the result of a straightening-out dating from the 1830s, the more southerly original route (constructed in the 1770s) having followed a much more winding course, remains of which can still be traced through the area. There are also the remains of two abandoned railway lines, the first being the old Weedon to Leamington Spa (via Daventry) railway, part of the London and North Western Railway (later the LMS), which closed to passengers in September 1958 and to freight in December 1963, and the second being the Great Central Main Line, which closed to all traffic in September 1966. The former passes quite close to the south side of the church. The two lines crossed a short distance to the west.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wolfhampcote from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Rugby Rural District. Although the main village is abandoned, since 1974 the civil parish has been part of the non-metropolitan Rugby District. The other two hamlets in the parish are, according to the Ordnance Survey map of 1935, Flecknoe and Sawbridge.
Flecknoe is a village in the Rugby district of Warwickshire, England. The village is within the parish of Wolfhampcote. Its name came from Anglo-Saxon Fleccanhóh = "Flecca's hill-spur". The village is shown as Fleckno on the Christopher Saxton map of 1637.
Flecknoe is quite an isolated village, being one mile from the nearest main road (the A425 Southam - Daventry road) and is connected only by narrow lanes. Flecknoe has a small church, dedicated to St. Mark, which was built with railway money in 1891 as compensation for disruption to the nearby ancient village of Wolfhampcote.
Flecknoe once had a railway station on the former Weedon to Leamington Spa branch line. The station was over a mile north of the village and effectively in the middle of nowhere, consequently it was an early victim of British Railways' closure programme, the last passenger train running on 3 November 1952. However, the line survived carrying freight until 2 December 1963.