Witton le Wear is a small village in County Durham, England. It is situated on the north bank of the River Wear, 6 km (3.7 mi) to the northwest of Bishop Auckland. Other nearby towns are Crook, 5 km (3.1 mi) and Willington, 8 km (5.0 mi).
The then farming hamlet of Witton le Wear was part of the Witton Castle estate, which was bought in 1816 by Sir William Chaytor for £78,000 from the Stobart family. He redeveloped the castle, and in 1819 developed the Jayne Pitt as part of the large Witton Park Colliery complex. This brought about the development of transport into the area, including the Etherley Incline Railway by George Stephenson, that connected to his Stockton and Darlington Railway at Shildon, and hence onwards via Stockton on Tees to Newport on the River Tees.
After the S&DR was extended into Bishop Auckland, the railway was able to access the [[wikipedia:limestone deposits within the upper River Wear valley. This brought employment to the valley not only through mining, but by the production of both pig iron and cement, which was distributed by the railway to all parts of the United Kingdom. As the price of road haulage dropped, the line fell into disuse and carried its last train in the early 1990s.
Witton le Wear was originally a township in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Auckland Rural District. In 1937 it was abolished and split between the civil parishes of Crook and Willington, Evenwood and Barony, and Bishop Auckland; with Crook and Willington receiving two-thirds of the area, Evenwood and Barony 30%, and Bishop Auckland the remainder.