Withnell is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Chorley in Lancashire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 3,631. Withnell is about 5 miles (8 km) north-east of Chorley itself and about 5 miles (8 km) from Blackburn. It constituted an urban district from 1894 to 1974.
The village was originally called 'Withinhull' around 1160, later appearing as 'Withinhulle' in the 1332 Subsidy Rolls of Lancashire, meaning 'a hill where willow trees grow'. The parish includes the villages of Brinscall and Abbey Village.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Withnell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
":The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Population: 2,160. Houses: 383. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £141. Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. There are two Wesleyan chapels, two national schools, and charities £5."
During the 19th century Withnell was in the Brindle sub-district of Chorley Registration District and Poor Law Union. As related by Wilson, Withnell was a township and chapelry in Leyland ancient parish in Leyland Hundred.