Place:Winona, Wentworth, Ontario, Canada

Coordinates43.208°N 79.651°W
Located inWentworth, Ontario, Canada
See alsoSaltfleet, Wentworth, Ontario, Canadatownship in which Winona located until 1974
Stoney Creek, Hamilton-Wentworth, Ontario, Canadamunicipality in which Winona located 1974-2001
Hamilton, Ontario, Canadamunicipality or new city in which Winona located since 2001
Contained Places
Fifty Cemetery

Winona is a "compact rural area" located in the former Saltfleet Township in Wentworth County in southern Ontario. Saltfleet Township joined with its major town, Stoney Creek to form the Municpality of Stoney Creek when the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth was established in 1974. Since 2001 the area is a part of the new single-tier City of Hamilton.

the following data was found in an article in Wikipedia

Winona allegedly got its name from the name of an Indian Princess who was sacrificed over Niagara Falls, though other towns of Winona also claim to be named for some local variation.

Winona's first settlers built a farming hamlet called "the Fifty" close to the creek of that name and tight to the waterfront. Winona's centre shifted in the late 19th century away from the water and the creek to a new central place built around the railway and roads, and tied together by Winona (then called Station) Road. Later, the focus shifted in favour of Highway 8, the escarpment, and Winona Road.

John Willson and his son were some of the most prominent of the early settlers. His son's house became a palatial hotel in the late 1900s and the Willson farm became the first Winona Park. Many of the roads in Winona were derived from the names of the local farm owners: Alexander S. Glover for Glover Road, and Levi Lewis for Lewis Road. Other historical names include Johnathon Isaac Pettit (located near Highway 8 and Winona Road), Inglehart (Fifty Conservation Area), Fred B. Carpenter, Henry Puddicombe, Jacob Smith and the Van Duzer family.

Winona's first school was a private school, located close to the Fifty Creek. 1816 marked a turning point for education as Winona's John Willson spearheaded Upper Canada's first Common School Act. The third elementary school building was located at Highway 8 and Winona Road and was called Saltfleet School No. 1.

Probably the most well known family in Winona is the Smith name. ED Smith and Sons, founded in 1882, was a food service manufacturer of specialty sauces, ketchup, and fruit fillings. The firm dominated the economy and society of Winona from 1890-1980.

NOTE: Unfortunately none of the links provided by Wikipedia for this data lead to any dependable material. However, the writer has certainly eaten E.D. Smith jam and encountered the name John Willson of Winona in other genealogical records.

source: Family History Library Catalog