Place:Wingates, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameWingates
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.252°N 1.848°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoLong Horsley, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Nunnykirk, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wingates from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WINGATES, a township in Long Horsley parish, Northumberland; 9 miles NNW of Morpeth. Acres: 2,642. Population: 162. Houses: 34. A medicinal spring here had repute toward the end of last century, and was restored in 1864."

Wingates was a township in the ancient parish of Long Horsley and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Nunnykirk.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.