|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Auckland Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1937|
|Sedgefield Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1937-1974|
|Sedgefield District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Windlestone from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WINDLESTONE, a township in Auckland-St. Andrew parish, Durham; 3½ miles ESE of Bishop-Auckland. Acres: 1,250. Real property: £1,631. Population: 134. houses: 31. [Windlestone] house is the seat of Sir W. Eden, Bart."
Windlestone was originally a township in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1937 it was part of Auckland Rural District. In 1937 it was transferred to Sedgefield Rural District when Auckland Rural District was abolished. Between 1974 and 2009 Windlestone became part of the larger Sedgefield non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
Categories: Durham, England | Windlestone, Durham, England | Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Auckland Rural, Durham, England | Bishop Auckland, Durham, England | Sedgefield Rural, Durham, England | Sedgefield District, Durham, England