- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Windhill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "Windhill, local government district, Idle township, Calverley par., N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, 3 miles NE. of Bradford, 780 ac., pop. 6732."
Historically, Windhill was in the ecclesiastical parish of Calverley in the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley. Windhill was in the civil parish of Idle until 1899 and in the City of Bradford from 1899 until 1974.
- GENUKI on Windhill. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Calverley provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Windhill.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!