- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wimbish from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WIMBISH, a parish, with Thunderley hamlet, in Saffron-Walden [registration] district, Essex; 4¼ miles SE of Saffron-Walden [railway] station. Post town, Saffron-Walden. Acres: 4,862. Real property: £6,203. Population: 939. Houses: 195. The property is much subdivided. The living is a double vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £300. Patron: the Rev. H. H. Beamish. The church is good; and there is a parochial school."
The parish was part of the Saffron Walden Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.
NOTE: Thunderley hamlet has been redirected here. There is a Thundersley Village in the Castle Point District of Essex, to the east of Ucclesford District.