|Name||Willerby (near Scarborough)|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Dickering Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Sherburn Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated 1894-1935|
|Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated 1935-1974|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district in which it is now located|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
|NOTE: Do not confuse Willerby (near Scarborough) with Willerby (near Hull) in the south of the county. Willerby (near Scarborough) is now in North Yorkshire, while Willerby (near Hull) is part of Kingston upon Hull unitary authority.
Willerby (near Scarborough) was originally an ancient parish in Dickering Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 Willerby, which had no townships, became a civil parish. In 1894 it became part of the Sherburn Rural District of the East Riding.
In 1935 Sherburn Rural District was abolished and Willerby was transferred to Norton Rural District where it was situated until the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire.
Since 1974 Willerby has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District.
According to the 2001 UK census, Willerby parish had a population of 708, increasing to 737 at the 2011 UK census. Its neighbouring parish is Staxton. (Source: Wikipedia)
- GENUKI on Willerby.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Willerby.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Willerby provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Willerby (near Scarborough), East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Dickering Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Sherburn Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England