Willerby was a minor settlement up to the 20th century, during which it became a suburb of Hull, and its urban development extended south-eastwards towards the city. The village centre is located about 5 miles (8 km) west of Kingston upon Hull city centre and lies outside the city boundary.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Willerby, East Riding of Yorkshire. Sections entitled "History" and "Geography".
Willerby was located in Cottingham parish and urban district from 1894 until 1935, and in Skidby parish in Beverley Rural District from 1935 until 1974. It was divided between the ecclesiastical parish of Cottingham in the Harthill wapentake and Kirk Ella in the Hullshire wapentake.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.