Place:Wigmore, Herefordshire, England

Watchers
NameWigmore
Alt namesWigemoresource: Domesday Book (1985) p 132
Wighemoresource: Domesday Book (1985) p 132
TypeParish
Coordinates52.317°N 2.85°W
Located inHerefordshire, England
Also located inHereford and Worcester, England     (1974 - 1998)
Herefordshire, England     (1998 - )
See alsoWigmore Hundred, Herefordshire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
Contained Places
Cemetery
Wigmore Abbey
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wigmore from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WIGMORE, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Hereford. The village stands 5 miles SE of Bucknell [railway] station and 9 NW of Leominster; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office under Kingsland, Herefordshire, a police station, and fairs on 6 May and 5 Aug.
"The parish includes part of Limebrook, and is in Ludlow [registration] district. Acres: 3,441. Real property: £3,342. Population: 499. Houses: 104. The property is subdivided. A castle stood, in the Saxon times, on an eminence a little W of the village; was rebuilt, in the 12th century, by Ranulph Mortimer; and has left some remains. An Augustinian abbey was founded about a mile from the castle by R. Mortimer; went, at the dissolution, to Sir T. Palmer; and also has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value: £120 Patron: the Bishop of [Hereford]. The church is early English, and was recently restored. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £8.
"The hundred contains 14 parishes and 5 parts. Acres: 47,075. Population: 6,309. Houses: 1,234."

Research Tips