|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Malpas, Cheshire, England||ancient parish in which it was located|
|Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was once situated|
|Malpas Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1936|
|Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1936-1974|
|Chester City District, Cheshire, England||district in which it was located 1974-2009|
|Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England||unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Wigland is a civil parish in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. It had a population of 104 according to the UK census of 2001.
Prior to 1866 Wigland was a township in the ancient parish of Malpas in the Broxton Hundred. Its population was 160 in 1801, 203 in 1851, 142 in 1901, and 109 in 1951. It included the hamlet of Higher Wych. (Source:GENUKI)
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England | Wrexham Registration District, Denbighshire, Wales | Whitchurch Registration District, Shropshire, England | West Cheshire Registration District, Cheshire, England | Malpas Rural, Cheshire, England | Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England | Chester City District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England | Malpas, Cheshire, England | Wigland, Cheshire, England