Place:Wigginton, Oxfordshire, England

TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.997°N 1.435°W
Located inOxfordshire, England
See alsoBloxham Hundred, Oxfordshire, Englandancient county division in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Wigginton is a village and civil parish in the Cherwell District of Oxfordshire, England about 6 miles (10 km) southwest of Banbury. The village is beside the River Swere, which forms the southern boundary of the parish.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wigginton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WIGGINTON, a parish, with a village, in Banbury [registration] district, Oxford; on the river Swere, 6½ miles SW of Banbury [railway] station. Post town: Banbury. Acres: 1,780. Real property: £2,471. Population: 338. Houses: 79. The property is much subdivided. Extensive Roman remains, including a semi-octagonal chamber 20 feet by 14, with tesselated pavement, and another apartment 20 feet by 17½, were discovered in 1824. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value: £400. Patron: Jesus College, Oxford. The church is chiefly early English. There are a dissenting chapel and a parochial school."

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wigginton, Oxfordshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.