|Alt names||Wichen||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 115|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Gloucestershire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Grumbalds Ash (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1835-1974|
|South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England||unitary authority of which it has been part since 1996|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Wickwar (not to be confused with Warwick) is a village and civil parish in South Gloucestershire, England, located between Chipping Sodbury and Charfield. At the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 1,943. The Wickwar brewery is a popular local producer of cask ale.
The village is on the main Bristol–Birmingham railway line, and once had a station, but this closed in January 1965. To the south, the line passes through a tunnel long. Wickwar also lies near to the source of the Little Avon River, which rises in woodland to the east.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Wickwar.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Grumbalds Ash (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Avon, England | South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England | Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Wickwar, Gloucestershire, England