Place:Wickhamford, Worcestershire, England

Watchers
NameWickhamford
TypeParish
Coordinates52.071°N 1.903°W
Located inWorcestershire, England
Also located inHereford and Worcester, England     (1974 - 1998)
Worcestershire, England     (1998 - )
See alsoBlackenhurst (hundred), Worcestershire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Wickhamford is a village and a civil parish in Worcestershire, England. It is situated on the A44 road approximately halfway between the towns of Evesham and Broadway. It is mentioned in 1086 in the Domesday Book under the name of Wiquene when it was owned by Evesham Abbey.

Wickhamford Manor

The manor was built in the 16th century on land belonging to the abbey (following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the late 1530s). In 1549 it was purchased from the Crown by Sir Samuel Sandys and remained in the family until its sale in 1863.

St. John the Baptist Church

The 13th-century parish Church of St. John the Baptist shows a close connection of the Sandys family with the American colonists. It can be seen in the floor slab monument to Penelope Washington within the altar rails. The oak chancel gates were installed in the 17th century with a monument to the Sandys family on the north side. Penelope Washington, whose mother married Sir Samuel Sandys and moved to the Manor House, was a distant relative of George Washington, the first President of the United States of America.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wickhamford. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.