- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whittonstall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHITTONSTALL, a township-chapelry in Bywell-St. Peter parish, Northumberland; 3¼ miles N NW of Shotley-Bridge, and 3½ SSW of Stocksfield [railway] station. Post town: Stocksfield, Northumberland. Acres: 1,968. Population: 219. Houses: 39. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £45. Patrons: the Trustees of Lord Crewe. The church was built in 1832."
Whittonstall was originally a township in the ancient parish of Bywell St. Peter. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it was abolished and its area transferred to the civil parish of Shotley Low Quarter.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.