Whitton is an ancient parish and once a separate village within the county of Suffolk in England. It is now an area of Ipswich. The site of a Roman villa, the village is thought to have been a Saxon colony, possibly dating from the Saxon invasion of around 430 AD. It appears in the Domesday Book as Widituna, possibly meaning "Hwita's farm" or "White's farm".
The parish of Whitton is bordered by Ipswich to the south, the parish of Westerfield to the east, the parishes of Akenham (since 1974 part of the enlarged parish of Whitton with Thurlston and Akenham) and Claydon to the north and Bramford to the west.
The parish church is dedicated to St. Mary and St. Botolph. The dedication to St. Botolph is a reminder of all that remains of the now demolished church at the tiny hamlet of Thurleston. St. Botolph's Church was still in use in 1500, but after being amalgamated with Whitton it fell into disrepair. It remained in use as a barn until 1862, and when the barn was demolished much of the building material was used to construct a south aisle and tower for St. Mary's at Whitton.
The dedication of the church at Whitton has been the subject of confusion over the years. At various points in its history it has changed back and forth between St Mary and St Botolph. The confusion arose because Thurleston Church, dedicated to Saint Botolph, was often mentioned in the same sentence as Whitton Church, which was dedicated to Saint Mary. In 1990 it was decided to bring the confusion to an end, and an official application was made to change the name to St. Mary and St. Botolph.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whitton-cum-Thurlston from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
From the discussion of the parish church above it would appear that Whitton and Thurlston were merged into one parish in the early 1500s, probably at the time of the dissolution of the monasteries in 1535. However the parish continued to be known by the combined name of Whitton-cum-Thurslton.
Thurlston received the briefest of descriptions in John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887 described Thurleston like this:
There is no article in Wikipedia for Thurlston. However, it should be noted that Thurlstone is a suburb of Barnsley which is now in South Yorkshire; Thurlestone is located in the South Hams District of Devon; and Thurlton is in the neighbouring county of Norfolk. To add to confusion Thurston is another village in Suffolk and GENUKI identifies Thurlston in Suffolk as "Thurlton".