- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Whittington is a village and rural parish in the county of Gloucestershire, England, situated some 4 miles south east of Cheltenham, just off the busy A40 road.
Whittington was located in the northwest corner of Northleach Rural District from 1894 until 1974 and since then has been part of the Cotswold District.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Whittington from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 9/Bradley hundred] in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county