- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Whittingham is a village and civil parish in Northumberland, England. It is situated on the banks of the River Aln, roughly 4.5 miles (7 km) east of its source at Alnham and 7.3 miles (12 km) west of Alnwick. Its population at the 2011 UK census was 525.
The thirteenth/fourteenth century pele tower, Whittingham Tower, was converted into almshouses in 1845 and is now in private ownership.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whittingham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHITTINGHAM, a township in Rothbury [registration] district, and a parish partly also in Alnwick [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies 8½ miles W by S of Alnwick [railway] station; contains a village of its own name; and has a post-office under Alnwick, and a good inn. Acres: 6,103. Population: 703. Houses: 133. A vaulted peeled tower of the 14th century is here, and has been converted into alms houses.
- "The parish contains six other townships, and comprises 17,484 acres. Real property: £15,286. Population: 1,923. Houses: 374. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £540. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is ancient and cruciform, and was much altered in 1842. There is a Presbyterian chapel."
Whittingham was an ancient parish of the Coquetdale Ward of Northumberland which became a civil parish during the 19th century. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Whittingham became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
Townships in Parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.