In the 19th century there were around 500 villagers, and a post office, and the entire parish comprised around 4,000 acres (16 km2). The Bude Canal passed through it.
The parish of Whitstone is bounded to the east by the River Tamar and the Devon county border, to the north by Bridgerule, northwest Marhamchurch, southwest Week-St. Mary and southeast Boyton and North Tamerton. The main employment is agriculture and agricultural services. Whitstone was part of the Stratton Hundred of Cornwall and in Stratton Rural District between 1894 and 1974.
Whitstone has two places of worship, a Methodist Chapel and a Church of England Church. The Methodist Chapel is at the centre of the village. The Anglican Church of St Anne is in one of the smaller lanes off the main road. There is a long path by the cemetery leading down to the church. The church is one of the oldest buildings in the village, built around 1400: it has two aisles and a west tower. Notable features are the Norman doorway and the Norman font. The church was restored in 1882. There is also a separate cemetery for non-churchgoers (given to the village in 1926).
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.