- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Whitfield is a village in the county of Northumberland, England about 10 miles (16 km) southwest of Hexham. It has a farming community and is set against beautiful scenic background; sometimes it has been called "Little Switzerland".
The village lies on the River West Allen which joins with the River East Allen less than a mile away to form the River Allen.
Whitfield Hall is the home of the Blackett-Ord family. The Manor of Whitfield was granted, in the 12th century, by William, King of Scotland, to the Whitfield family, who retained it until 1750 when it was sold to William Ord of Fenham. When a later William Ord died in 1855, the estate fell to his son's widow and then to her heir, her niece, who married Rev John Blackett, a son of Christopher Blackett of Wylam. As a condition of the marriage and inheritance he changed his name to Blackett-Ord.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whitfield from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHITFIELD, a parish, with a hamlet, in Haltwhistle [registration] district, Northumberland; on the river Allen, 8½ miles SW of Haydon-Bridge [railway] station. It has a post-office under Carlisle and a good inn. Acres: 12,125. Real property: £4,720; of which £173 are in mines. Population: 381. Houses: 63. The manor belonged anciently to the Whitfields; and, with [Whitfield] Hall, belongs now to Mrs. Blackett Ord. The tract along the river is good and picturesque; but the rest of the surface is high, moorish, and waste. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £320. Patron: Mrs. Blackett Ord. The church was rebuilt in 1860; is in the early English style and cruciform; and has a central tower and spire 150 feet high.
Whitfield was an ancient parish and a civil parish until 1955 when it was abolished to form the new civil parish of Plenmellor with Whitfield.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.