- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whitegate from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHITEGATE, a village and a parish in Northwich [registration] district, Cheshire. The village stands 2 miles S by W of Hartford [railway] station, and 3½ SW of Northwich; is sometimes called Newchurch; and has a post-office under Northwich. The parish comprises Marton and Darnhall townships, and parts of Over and Weaverham. Acres of Marton and Darnhall: 4,384. Rated property of the parish: £12,353. Population: 1,535. Houses: 293. Vale Royal is the seat of Lord Delamere; and Darnhall, of J. Haigh, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value: £240. Patron: Lord Delamere. The church was built in 1726. There are a parochial school, and charities £24."
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Whitegate is a small village in Cheshire, England, located near the towns of Northwich and Winsford. Since 1988 it is situated in the civil parish of Whitegate and Marton, in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester.
At its centre is an ancient Anglican church dedicated to St. Mary. Nearby Vale Royal Abbey was once the largest Cistercian abbey church in Britain.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Marton (near Winsford) was a township in the ancient parishes of Whitegate and Over, Eddisbury Hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. The civil parish was abolished in 1988 to become parts of Whitegate & Marton and Oakmere (Source: GENUKI)
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.