Place:Whitchester, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameWhitchester
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.006°N 1.857°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoHeddon on the Wall, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whitchester from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WHITCHESTER, a township in Heddon-on-the-Wall parish, Northumberland; 10 miles WNW of Newcastle. Acres: 795. Population: 46. Houses: 8. Roman coins have been found."

Wikipedia has notes about its milecastle on Hadrian's Wall.

Whitchester was originally a township in the ancient parish of Heddon on the Wall. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it returned to being part of Heddon on the Wall.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.