Wharram-le-Street is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. Until the 1974 local government reorganisation Wharram-le-Street was part of the East Riding of Yorkshire. The village is on the B1248 road between North Grimston and the boundary with the present East Riding unitary authority.
The affix "le-Street" in the toponym refers to the fact that the village is beside the course of a former Roman road. The Domesday Book of 1086 records the manor as Warham. About south of the village is the deserted medieval village of Wharram Percy.
The Church of England parish church of St Mary is late Anglo-Saxon. The nave and lower part of the west tower were built in the early or mid-11th century, in the last decades before the Norman conquest of England. The top of the tower is slightly later, representing the Saxo-Norman overlap architecture of the late 11th or early 12th century. The chancel arch is pure Norman, the north aisle was added in the 14th century and the chancel was rebuilt in 1862–64.
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Wharram was located in Norton Rural District. Historically, Wharram le Street was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Wharram Percy in the Buckrose Wapentake.
It would appear that since the re-organization, the name of the parish has reverted to Wharram-le-Street. (source: Wikipedia)