|Name||Wharram le Street|
|Alt names||Wharram le Street||source: from redirect|
|Warham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 309|
|Warran||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 309|
|Wharram-le-Street||source: Bartholomew Gazetteer of Britain (1986); Buildings: Yorkshire, York (1972); Domesday Book (1985) p 309; Gazetteer of Great Britain (1987) p 778|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated|
|Wharram, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||civil parish into which it was merged in 1935|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district in which it is now located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Since 1974 Wharram le Street is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale District of North Yorkshire, England. Until the 1974 local government reorganisation Wharram le Street was part of the East Riding of Yorkshire. The village is on the B1248 road between North Grimston and the boundary with the present East Riding unitary authority.
The affix "le-Street" in the toponym refers to the fact that the village is beside the course of a former Roman road. The Domesday Book of 1086 records the manor as Warham. About 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the village is the deserted medieval village of Wharram Percy.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Wharram-le-Street.
Wharram le Street was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 Wharram le Street, which had no townships, became a civil parish. In 1894 it became part of the Norton Rural District of the East Riding.
In 1935, the civil parishes of Raisthorpe and Burdale, Wharram le Street, and Wharram Percy were merged into the single civil parish of Wharram.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire.
Since 1974 Wharram has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District. It would appear that since the re-organization of 1974, the name of the parish has reverted from Wharram back to Wharram le Street. (source: Wikipedia)
- GENUKI on Wharram le Street.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Wharram le Street.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Wharram le Street provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Wharram le Street, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | Wharram, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England