- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Whalton is a small village in Northumberland, England. The population at the 2001 UK census 2001 was 427, increasing to 474 at the 2011 UK census.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whalton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHALTON, a parish, with a village and four townships [including itself], in Castle-Ward district, Northumberland; 2½ miles SE by S of Meldon [railway] station, and 6 S W of Morpeth. It has a post-office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres: 5,918. Real property: £7,356. Population: 495. Houses: 103. The property is subdivided. There are traces of a Roman camp, and slight remains of Ogle Castle. Freestone and limestone are quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £753. Patron: R. Bates, Esq. The church was restored in 1783. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and partially endowed British schools."
Townships in Parish
Whalton was an ancient parish in the Castle Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the civil parishes of Ogle, Riplington, Shilvington and Twizell. From 1974 until 2009 it was part of the Castle Morpeth District of Northumberland. In 2009 Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.