|Located in||Worcestershire, England|
|Also located in||Hereford and Worcester, England (1974 - 1998)|
|Worcestershire, England (1998 - )|
|See also||Halfshire (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred of which the parish was a part|
|Droitwich Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Wychavon District, Hereford and Worcester, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1998|
|Wychavon District, Worcestershire, England||district municipality covering the area from 1998 onward|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Westwood Park from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WESTWOOD PARK, an extra-parochial tract in Droitwich [registration] district, Worcester; 3 miles WNW of Droitwich. Acres: 1,380. Population: 22. Houses: 4. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, in the time of Richard II.; became a cell to Fontevrault abbey in France; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Packingtons. [Westwood Park] House was built in 1590, and is now the seat of the Right Hon. Sir J. S. Packington, Bart. The "Sir Roger de Coverley" of Addison was Sir Herbert Packington; and the writer of the "Whole Duty of Man," jointly with Bishop Fell, was a Lady Packington."
Wikipedia expands this history of the Westwood Park estate. It is noted that Wilson's Gazetteer gives the name of the family as Parkington, but Wikipedia uses the name Pakington.
From 1894 until 1974 Westwood or Westwood Park was a parish in the Droitwich Rural District. Since 1974 it is assumed to be part of the Wychavon District, first in the county of Hereford and Worcester, and then, since 1998, in Worcestershire again.
There is a sketchmap of the parishes of Droitwich Rural District on the rural district page.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Westwood Park, Worcestershire, England | Halfshire (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Droitwich Rural, Worcestershire, England | Wychavon District, Hereford and Worcester, England | Wychavon District, Worcestershire, England