|Alt names||Weston-upon-Avon||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Warwickshire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred of which it was part|
|Marston Sicca Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1931|
|Stratford-upon-Avon Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1931-1974|
|Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England||district municipality in which it has been situated since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Weston-on-Avon is a village now in Warwickshire, England. It is about 3 miles (5 km) south-west of the town of Stratford-upon-Avon.
In 1894 the Warwickshire part of the parish of Welford-on-Avon became the separate parish of Milcote, and thereafter the remaining area of Welford-on-Avon was wholly in Gloucestershire, until it was transferred to Warwickshire on 1.4.1931.
Welford-on-Avon was part of Marston Sicca Rural District in Gloucestershire. A further explanation will be found under Marston Sicca Rural District where a map of the area is included.
Registration Districts (for Weston-on-Avon)
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI Gloucestershire and GENUKI Warwickshire give pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the individual counties. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire and The FamilySearch Wiki for Warwickshireprovides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of Gloucestershire. However, there is a series of 7 volumes for Warwickshire.
- Comparing a map of Gloucestershire parishes in 1900 with a map of Gloucestershire parishes made in the 1943 helps to illustrate how the county borders changed through this period.
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Weston-on-Avon, Gloucestershire, England | Marston Sicca Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Warwickshire, England | Stratford-upon-Avon Rural, Warwickshire, England | Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England