Place:Market Weston, Suffolk, England

NameMarket Weston
Alt namesWeston Market
Weston-Marketsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.36°N 0.917°E
Located inSuffolk, England
See alsoBlackbourn Hundred, Suffolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
St. Edmundsbury District, Suffolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Market Weston is a small village and civil parish in the St Edmundsbury District of Suffolk in eastern England. It is located near the Norfolk border around seven miles east-southeast of Thetford. In 2005 its population was 260.

The village was given a market charter in 1263.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Weston Market from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WESTON-MARKET, a parish in the [registration] district of Thetford and county of Suffolk; 7 miles S by W of Harling-Road [railway] station, and 9 ESE by E of Thetford. It has a post-office under Thetford, and a fair on 28 Sept. Acres: 1,083. Real property: £2,042. Population: 303. Houses: 75. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value: £350. Patron: the Rev. H. T. Wilkinson. Charities, £30."

Research Tips