Place:Coney Weston, Suffolk, England

NameConey Weston
Alt namesWeston-Coneysource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.367°N 0.867°E
Located inSuffolk, England
See alsoBlackbourn Hundred, Suffolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
St. Edmundsbury District, Suffolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Coney Weston is a village in Suffolk, within the St. Edmundsbury District. It is a primarily rural residential town. It is 5 miles (8 km) north of Ixworth and 12 miles (19 km) from Bury St. Edmunds.

In 1988 the population of the village was doubled by a boundary change which officially incorporated the Swan end of Barningham into Coney Weston. At present there are 323 people on the electoral roll living in around 150 houses.


Peddars Way passes through the parish which also contains several 17th-century buildings. Coney Weston was recorded in Domesday as "Cunegestuna".

RAF Knettishall was built close to Coney Weston from late 1942 by W&G French and occupied by the USAF 388th Bomb Group from June 1943 until April 1945 with Flying B17 (Flying Fortress) aircraft. They completed 306 missions, losing almost 180 aircraft to enemy action and other causes. Perhaps their most famous aircraft was called Thomas Paine (named after a son of nearby Thetford). Named at a civic ceremony in honour of Paine’s subsequent contribution to the young American colony’s quest for independence. This aircraft survived many missions until it overshot the runway and ended up in a field. Despite repairs it was subsequently retired from active service.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Coney Weston. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.