|Alt names||Weston||source: from redirect|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Claro Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Wharfedale Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Weston was originally an ancient parish in Birdforth Wapentake in the West Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 both Weston and its township of Askwith became civil parishes. In 1894 they each became part of the Wharfedale Rural District of the West Riding.
Since 1974 Weston has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Harrogate District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Weston from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WESTON, a township and a parish in Otley [registration] district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wharfe, 2 miles WNW of Otley [railway] station. Acres: 1,372. Real property: £1,940. Population: 112. Houses: 19.
- "The parish includes Askwith township, and comprises 4,552 acres. Post town: Otley. Population: 450. Houses: 95. The manor is divided among three; and [Weston] Hall is the seat of Dawson, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value: £104. Patron: W. V. Carter, Esq. The church is Norman and early English."
Categories: West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Weston, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Claro Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Wharfedale Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England