|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Jarrow, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Chester Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|South Shields, Durham, England||county borough of which it was a part since 1866|
|South Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England||metropolitan district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Westoe is a suburb of South Shields in Tyne & Wear, England. The ward population taken at the 2011 UK census was 8,080.
Westoe was originally a village a mile south of South Shields, and was gradually absorbed into the urban sprawl extending from the centre of Shields at the end of the nineteenth century.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Westoe was originally a township in the ancient parish of Jarrow, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but was considered to be within the county borough of South Shields. In 1894 it was abolished and completely absorbed into South Shields.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Westoe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WESTOE, a township, a chapelry, and a [registration] sub-district, in South Shields [registration] district, Durham. The township is in Jarrow parish; lies on the river Tyne, contiguous to South Shields township; forms a main part of South Shields town and borough; contains South-Shields workhouse and new docks; and has a post-office under South Shields. Acres: 2,070; of which 275 are water. Real property: £52,998; of which £3,000 are in mines, £56 in quarries, £94 in fisheries, £150 in railways, and £300 in gasworks. Population in 1851: 19,349: in 1861: 26,266. Houses: 3,234. The increase of population arose from town extension, and from the formation of the new docks. See Shields (South).
- "The chapelry includes part of the township, and extends beyond it. Population: about 7,000. The living is a [perpertual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham."
Categories: Durham, England | Westoe, Durham, England | Jarrow, Durham, England | Chester Ward, Durham, England | South Shields, Durham, England | South Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England