Place:Tarset West, Northumberland, England

NameTarset West
Alt namesWest Tarsetsource: alternate name
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.226°N 2.386°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoSimonburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Tarset, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tarset West from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"TARSET, a township, with a [railway] station, in Thorney-burn parish, Northumberland; on a burn of its own name, on the North Tyne river, and on the Border Counties railway, 3½ miles WNW of Bellingham. Acres: 17,408. Population: 112. Houses: 21. [Tarset] Castle was burnt by raiders about 1516."

Tarset West was originally a township in the ancient parish of Simonburn and later a township in Thorneyburn parish. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Bellingham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the newly-formed parish of Tarset.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.