|Alt names||West Tarset||source: alternate name|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Simonburn, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Tarset, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tarset West from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TARSET, a township, with a [railway] station, in Thorney-burn parish, Northumberland; on a burn of its own name, on the North Tyne river, and on the Border Counties railway, 3½ miles WNW of Bellingham. Acres: 17,408. Population: 112. Houses: 21. [Tarset] Castle was burnt by raiders about 1516."
Tarset West was originally a township in the ancient parish of Simonburn and later a township in Thorneyburn parish. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Bellingham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the newly-formed parish of Tarset.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Tarset West, Northumberland, England | Simonburn, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, England | Tarset, Northumberland, England