Pinchbeck is a village and civil parish in the South Holland District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 2 miles (3.2 km) north from the centre of the town of Spalding. The population of the local ward in South Holland District was estimated at over 5,000 in 2014. The hamlet of West Pinchbeck is located in the parish.
The Anglican village church is dedicated to Saint Mary, and is over 1,000 years old. It has a wide nave with mid-12th-century arches, and a 15th-century single hammer beam roof supported by large gilded angels carrying the heraldic escutcheons of the Pinchbeck family.
Pinchbeck falls within the drainage area of the Welland and Deepings Internal Drainage Board. The board maintains Pinchbeck Engine House, a museum which houses a drain engine, built to drain Pinchbeck Marsh in the early 19th century.
The marsh is also the location of the highest point in what was Parts of Holland, an historic division of Lincolnshire. At only 8 metres above sea level, the high point is the lowest of those listed for the historic counties and subdivisions in 1964.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.