|Alt names||Botolph's Bridge||source: hamlet in parish|
|Palmarsh||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Hythe Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Worth Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England||ancient area in which it was located|
|Hythe, Kent, England||municipal borough into which it was absorbed in 1888|
|Shepway District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
West Hythe is now a hamlet near Palmarsh (see below) in Kent, England , and a few miles west of the cinque port town of Hythe (where the 2011 UK Census population is included).
Modern settlement is mostly on the plain south of the Royal Military Canal, and immediately north and northwest of Palmarsh, but the ancient parish church (in ruins) stands at the foot of the escarpment north of the canal, where much of the ancient village was located.
The ancient parish church, dedicated to St Mary, is listed as a Grade II monument, and is a structure monitored by English Heritage. It was constructed in the twelfth century and heavily rebuilt in the fourteenth century. The British Listed Buildings website reports that the church was burnt down in 1620. There is some evidence that St Mary's may have been, in origin, a minster church.
West Hythe was originally an ancient parish in both Hythe Hundred and Worth Hundred, as well as being part of Romney Marsh Liberty. It was a civil parish during the 19th century, but in 1888 became part of Hythe Municipal Borough where it remained until 1974. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Shepway District.
Palmarsh is a community in Shepway District. In origin it was a hamlet on the edge of the Romney Marsh, but modern development to the west of Hythe in a corridor along the A259 coastal road, has led to the joining together of the ancient town and cinque port of Hythe (to the east) and the rural hamlet of Palmarsh (to the west) in a single conurbation.
Botolph's Bridge is a small hamlet, consisting of a few family homes and a public house named "The Botolph's Bridge". The hamlet is associated with West Hythe, with which it shares community activity and history. Its name is derived from the Saxon monk and evangelist Botwulf of Thorney.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | West Hythe, Kent, England | Hythe Hundred, Kent, England | Worth Hundred, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England | Hythe, Kent, England | Shepway District, Kent, England