West Horndon is a village in the parish of West Horndon in the south of the Brentwood Borough of Essex on the boundary with Thurrock. It is located 20 miles (32 km) east north-east of Charing Cross (a basis for measuring distances from the centre of London) in London.
Originally there were three manors in the area of West Horndon, Tillingham Hall being the one which had most of the land in its borders. In 1066 Alwin, a free woman held it, but by 1086 it had passed to Swain of Essex in the hundred of Barstable. Following this the Tillingham family held the hall for several hundred years.
It was eventually sold to Sir William Bawd, who conveyed it to Coggeshall Abbey, where it remained until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. It is thought that the Abbey began to restrict the rights of the commons, for there were many proceedings in the manor-courts against the ordinary people, supposedly trespassing on the land of the lords. After they acquired the commonland it was mostly left as wild heath and woods, much as we see it today, the later lords of the manor having much pleasure hunting to hounds through it, even as far as Southend.
The church of All Saints is built entirely of brick, the present one being the third on this site. The village of Torinduna (Thornhill) referred to in Domesday was built around this hill. The Saxon church was built around AD 807, then rebuilt in the Norman style by the Neville family about 1200.
In 1930, three houses were given to farm workers, only one of these remain, Number 18 Thorndon avenue. This house has been restored to its original condition. The rest of Thorndon avenue was constructed during the 50s.
The southern portion of the traditional parish of West Horndon is now in the unitary authority of Thurrock.