|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of West Heddon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HEDDON (West), a township in Heddon-on-the-Wall parish, Northumberland; adjacent to Heddon-onthe-Wall township. Acres: 338. Population: 36. Houses: 7. A row of houses here was inhabited by French emigrants, during the revolution; and was afterwards used as a workhouse."
West Heddon was originally a township in the ancient parish of Heddon on the Wall. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1955 West Heddon returned to being part of Heddon on the Wall.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.