The village originally grew around a Norman castle, whose motte lies next to the church. It was recorded in the Domesday Book as Feltone, and as "Felton by le Knokyn" in 1303. The name Felton probably represents a combination of Old English feld, "open land", and tun, "settlement".
The old ecclesiastical parish of West Felton contained the townships of West Felton, Sutton, Rednall, Haughton, Teddesmere, Woolston (now in Oswestry Rural), Sandford and Twyford. The modern civil parish has similar, though not identical, boundaries. The parish church, which has a 12th-century nave, is dedicated to St Michael, and has a chapel of ease at Haughton.