West Deeping is a village in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the A1175 road, 5 miles (8 km) east from Stamford and 2 miles (3.2 km) west from Market Deeping. It is the smallest of The Deepings group of villages situated around the A1175 road. The civil parish population was 277 in the UK census of 2001. This is about the same as the average population throughout the 19th century.
The church of St Andrew dates back to the 13th century, with further additions in 1676 and 1803 and a restoration in 1876-77, and is Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular in style. (See Wikipedia.) Parish registers exist from 1657, but Bishops Transcripts go back to 1562. The Independents had a small chapel here. A small cemetery of only a quarter acre was formed in 1883 in the north-west of the village by the Burial Board of the Parish Council.
Additional material from GENUKI where there is more information.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.