|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Gosforth, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Hazlerigg, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
|Woolsington, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of West Brunton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BRUNTON (East and West), two townships in Gosforth parish, Northumberland; 4 miles N of Newcastle. Acres: 953 and 1,134. Populations: 134 and 128. Houses: 25 and 24. Coal of superior quality exists here; but has, in great measure, been worked out."
West Brunton was a township in the ancient parish of Gosforth and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1935 part of West Brunton was absorbed back into Gosforth. In 1955 the remainder of the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parishes of Woolsington and Hazlerigg.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | West Brunton, Northumberland, England | Gosforth, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England | Hazlerigg, Northumberland, England | Woolsington, Northumberland, England