Place:West Bradenham, Norfolk, England

NameWest Bradenham
Alt namesBradehamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 187
Bradenhamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 187; Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 91
Brehendamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 187
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.633°N 0.833°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1952)
See alsoSouth Greenhoe Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Swaffham Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1952
Bradenham, Norfolk, Englandcivil parish into which it was merged in 1952
Breckland District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

West Bradenham was a civil parish in Norfolk, England, until 1952 when it was merged with East Bradenham into a new parish named Bradenham.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of West Bradenham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BRADENHAM (West), a parish in Swaffham [registration] district, Norfolk; on the river Wissey, 3¼ miles S by W of Wendling [railway] station, and 5½ SW by W of East Dereham. It has a post office under Thetford. Acres: 1,682. Real property: £3.019. Population: 387. Houses: 88. The manor of West Bradenham belongs to W. Haggard, Esq.; that of Bokenham Hall to B. Girling, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £290. Patron: the Bishop of [Norwich] The church is ancient, and was restored in 1857. There are a national school, and charities £24."

Research Tips