Place:Wentworth, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameWentworth
TypeVillage
Coordinates53.482°N 1.419°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inSouth Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoRotherham Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part until 1974
Rotherham (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


Wentworth is a village and civil parish in the former Rotherham Rural District in the West Riding of Yorkshire. In the nationwide reorganization of local government in 1974, it was absorbed by the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham. In the 2001 census the village had a population of over 1,200.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The village's history is dominated by the Wentworth, Watson-Wentworth and Wentworth-Fitzwilliam families who lived in Wentworth Woodhouse. They also owned perhaps most of the land in the village. Wentworth gained some independence when the Fitzwilliam family line ended in 1979.

The village dates back to at least 1066, when, according to the in the Domesday book, Rynold Wynterwade was lord of the manor. About 1250 Robert Wentworth married Emma Woodhouse, beginning the Wentworth-Woodhouse line; the family lived in the area for over 450 years. The lands then passed to the Watson family when William Wentworth, 2nd Earl of Strafford died without heir; the Watsons held the land until 1782. During this time most of the local follies were built. The later Fitzwilliam ownership ended in 1979 when William Thomas George Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, 10th Earl Fitzwilliam died.

There have been two churches built in the village. The first church, was a chapel of ease to All Saints Church, Wath Upon Dearne. Like its successor it was the principal place of worship on the estate, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and is thought to date back to the 12th century. The building of the new church, Holy Trinity Parish Church, was commissioned in 1872 by William Thomas Spencer Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, 6th Earl Fitzwilliam to the design of John Loughborough Pearson, an exponent of the Gothic Revival style, and consecrated in 1877 by the Archbishop of York.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wentworth, South Yorkshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.