Welwyn is a village and civil parish in Hertfordshire, England. The parish has also included from 1935 the village of Digswell and the hamlet of Oaklands. It is sometimes called "Old Welwyn" to distinguish it from the newer settlement of Welwyn Garden City which is situated about a mile to the south, though many residents object to the suggestion of inferiority or irrelevance that tends to be implied by the moniker "Old".
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Welwyn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Woolmer Green is a small village in Hertfordshire, England. The 2011 census figure for the population (from the Office for National Statistics) was 1,362 people.
Situated between the villages of Welwyn and Knebworth, Woolmer Green was first settled in the Iron Age. The village was at the junction of two thoroughfares, the Great North Road and another road called Stane Street (or Stone Street) which stretches from St. Albans to another major Roman town, Colchester.
Woolmer Green has always been one of those places which is “neither here nor there”. In the Middle Ages part of the village was in Mardleybury Manor and part in Rectory Manor, with the northern part owing allegiance to Broadwater Manor or Knebworth. Things have not changed; the village is still at the point where the Districts of North Hertfordshire, East Hertfordshire and Welwyn Hatfield meet.
Prior to the year 2000, Woolmer Green was part of the parish of Welwyn for local government purposes. In that year, however, the parish gained its independence from its neighbour, and the inaugural meeting of the Parish Council was held in May 2000.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Woolmer Green.