Welshpool is a town in the county of Powys in Wales, in the historic county of Montgomeryshire, from the Wales–England border. The town is low-lying on the River Severn; its Welsh language name Y Trallwng literally means "the marshy or sinking land". Welshpool is the fourth largest town in Powys.
In English it was initially known as Pool but its name was changed to Welshpool in 1835 to distinguish it from the English town of Poole. It has a population of 6,664 (United Kingdom Census 2011), contains much Georgian architecture and is just north of Powis Castle.
Welshpool is an inhabited place.