- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Welsh Newton is a small village and civil parish in the county of Herefordshire, England. It is located close to the border with Wales to which the parish extends.
The parish of Welsh Newton (which is grouped with the parish of Llanrothal to form Welsh Newton and Llanrothal Group Parish Council) contains three churches: a derelict Methodist chapel and a very small Anglican church called St Faith's atop Welsh Newton Common, and a Norman (now) Anglican church, St Mary's, at Welsh Newton (containing an original rood screen). Catholic martyr St John Kemble, executed in 1679, is buried in St Mary's churchyard. There is another Anglican church at Llanrothal.
The area contains a lot of history, including Pembridge Castle and at least thirty-one other archaeological sites in Welsh Newton parish alone. The parish also contains a piece of common land, currently registered as unowned under the Commons Act 2006, at Welsh Newton Common; a hill (and hamlet) overlooking the Wye Valley.
According to Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire 1929:
- "Welsh Newton is a Parish on the Hereford and Monmouth road, three and a half miles north from Monmouth and 8 south west from Ross, in the Southern Division of the county, Wormelow Hundred, Monmouth union and county court district, Harewood End Petty Sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The Parish extends into Monmouthshire. The church of St. Mary is a plain but ancient building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a small western tower containing 2 bells: the screen is 12th century, lit by a 14th century dormer window: the roof is 14th century; the stained east window was presented by Mrs. Marriot, in 1879, and there are memorial windows to Mrs. Tylor, of Callow Hill, who died in 1881. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1798; marriages, 1758; burials, 1800. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Llanrothal annexed in 1927...in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford. There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Welsh Newton Common. Pembridge Castle, built prior to the 13th century, is now a farmhouse. This historic castle was purchased by Dr. Hedley Bartlet, Bishop of Hereford, and partially restored in 1914; It was the home for many years of the priest and martyr Father John Kemble (d. 1679), whose tomb pilgrims visit in the village churchyard; his hand is preserved in a shrine at Hereford. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips and fruit. The area is 1,943 acres (7.9 km²)."
(1) Cf Wikipedia: Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844