Place:Welford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, England

Watchers
NameWelford-on-Avon
TypeVillage
Coordinates52.168°N 1.784°W
Located inWarwickshire, England     (1931 - )
Also located inGloucestershire, England     ( - 1931)


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Welford-on-Avon is a village of around 1,800 inhabitants situated some west-south-west of the town of Stratford-upon-Avon in the county of Warwickshire, England.

Until 1931, Welford-on-Avon was in Gloucestershire (as part of the Rural District of Marston Sicca), when it was transferred to Stratford-on-Avon Rural District. Since 1974 it has been part of the District of Stratford-on-Avon.

The village sits within a bend of the River Avon, on the south bank. Its maypole is one of the tallest in England (at 65 feet/20 metres). It used to be wooden but was replaced by an aluminium pole after a lightning strike. There are three pubs and many Tudor half-timbered and thatched cottages, mostly close to the village church, which is the older part of Welford.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Welford-on-Avon, Warwickshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.