A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Welby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Welby became a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 became part of the Melton Mowbray Rural District. In 1936 it was abolished and the majority of the area was transferred to the neighbouring parish of Asfordby. A small portion was absorbed into Melton Mowbray.
The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.
In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.
Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.