Welbourn is a village and civil parish in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the A607 road, 11 miles (18 km) south from Lincoln and 8 miles (13 km) north-west from Sleaford, and between the parishes of Leadenham and Wellingore. The population of the parish was 646 according to the UK census of 2001.
The village church is dedicated to St Chad. The village is associated with the site of the lost settlement of Saperton. The exact location of the site is unknown. To the east of the village lies the course of Ermine Street, now the Viking Way (a long distance footpath).
In 1598 Francis Trigge, Rector of Welbourn, arranged for a library to be set up in the room over the south porch of St Wulfram's Church, Grantham for the use of the clergy and the inhabitants of the town; the Francis Trigge Chained Library is claimed as the first public library. The anti-slavery campaigner and academic Peter Peckard (1718-1797) was born in the village, the son of the Rev. John Peckard.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.