Weaverthorpe was listed as being in the wapentake of Buckrose.
Gypsey Race beck runs alongside the main street.
Bronze Age settlements have been found at nearby Cowlam. There was a vill on the site in the period of Viking/Norse settlement when it was known as Wifertorp (11th century). The village's name is linked to a certain Vidhfari, anglicized in Wivar. In the Domesday Book there is a mention of Wiveretorp in 1110. Same male's name as in Wiverton (Nottingham) and in the Vierville (Wiarevilla 1158), Virville (Wivarevilla v. 1210) and Viertot of Normandy. After the Norman conquest it was held by the Archbishop of York under Michael FitzHerbert. In the 12th century the church of St. Andrew was granted to Nostell Priory until 1268. Lucy, daughter of Piers FitzHerbert, married Sir William de Ros of Helmsley-in-Holderness [alias Hamlake) (died circa 1264) who acquired the manor of 'Wyverthorp'. In about 1271 the manor was acquired by William de Brewes, Baron Braose of Gower, on his marriage with Mary de Ros.
Historically, Weaverthorpe was an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Buckrose. From 1894 until 1935, Weaverthorpe was located in Driffield Rural District. In 1935 the boundaries of the rural districts of Driffield, Norton and Sherburn were redrawn. Sherburn was abolished entirely and the civil parishes of Luttons Ambo, Helperthorpe, Weaverthorpe, Butterwick and Foxholes with Boythorpe (which are in a line from west to east) moved from Driffield to Norton. Compare the maps Ordnance Survey 1900 and Ordnance Survey 1944 below. In 1974 the whole of Norton Rural District was absorbed into the Ryedale District of North Yorkshire.